Sunday, May 27, 2012

Socially Engaged Buddhism… Bits and Pieces

Originally posted by Jizo Chronicles.

  A rare quiet night, Bearnie and The Jizo Chronicle


   Posted on May 13, 2012 by Maia Duerr


The author and Roshi Bernie Glassman at Upaya Zen Center (photo by Roshi Joan Halifax)
For my longtime readers, I miss seeing you here… for my newer readers, just to get you up to speed, I don’t post very regularly on The Jizo Chronicles anymore. I am focusing my energy these days on my other blog, The Liberated Life Project, as well as on the work I do as Upaya Zen Center’s director of community outreach and development.
I’m having a rare quiet night so thought I’d give this blog a little attention and share some news from the world of socially engaged Buddhism that’s come across my desk this past month:

• Kudos to the Buddhist Peace Fellowship for being smart enough to pick Katie Loncke as their Director of Media and Action. I’ve long been a fan of Katie’s blog, and interviewed her on TJC back in January. I’m really looking forward to hearing more of Katie’s voice on behalf of BPF.
Rev. Danny Fisher is now not only a reverend but a doctor! This week, Danny received a doctorate of Buddhist studies from the University of the West. Also of note is Danny’s excellent dharma talk based on the book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide (Kristof and WuDunn). You can listen to Danny give the talk here.
• There’s quite a good article on socially engaged Buddhism in May 9th issue of The Washington Post by Losang Tendrol, a Tibetan Buddhist nun. The piece focuses on Thai activist Sulak Sivaraksa.
• I also haven’t updated the calendar on this site for a long time, but I can tell you that there are some fabulous engaged dharma programs scheduled at Upaya Zen Center this August and September. Make a trip to beautiful Santa Fe this summer to practice with Roshi Bernie Glassman (“Making Peace: The World as One Body”), Cheri Maples (“Transforming Systems: Using Buddhist Practice to Create Healthy Organizations and Systems”), Alan Senauke (“The Bodhisattva’s Embrace”), Fleet Maull (“Radical Responsibility”), or Noah Levine (“The Heart of the Revolution”)… it’s all good!
Even though I am not posting here often, please don’t write off The Jizo Chronicles… I’ll still pop up here occasionally and might mobilize this blog when an important action is needed.
But for the most part, you can find me over at the Liberated Life Project… Go on, check it out… I think you’ll really enjoy it. Here are some recent posts that may be of interest:
May you all be well,
Maia

No comments:

Post a Comment